My name is Vera and I am a recovering perfectionist. Since early childhood, I’ve also been a book worm. 😊
As a little kid, I just could not comprehend why anybody would choose to do something different than to read. And I was highly irritated when anybody would ask me to do something different than to read. I still am sometimes. 😊
I remember reading underneath my blanket with a flashlight as it was past my bedtime and my mum wanted me to be awake the next day. I remember getting scared reading The Shining till early hours of the morning. I remember refusing to fall asleep after I finished reading the Nightmare of Elm Street. I remember discovering folk stories, Tolkien and creating my own world full of imaginary friends. With whom I was having tea in woods on a regular basis.
I love clever and well plotted stories. I don’t necessary like stories about heroes. I enjoy stories about ordinary people. They don’t win all the time, they make a lot of mistakes but they don’t give up even when they really, really want to.
I love torn characters that are vulnerable, flawed, clever but who also want to help others from time to time.
Random facts about me:
- I think it’s perfectly acceptable to spend my day wearing PJ’s on a sofa with a good book whilst getting lost in another world.
- I am an outgoing person but also quite introverted. I get my energy from being alone despite being the heart of every party.
- I am a rock climber who is scared of heights.
- When I am on my yoga mat, I feel like I’m home.
- I was born in then communist Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic or Czechia these days) and still pretend to speak a bit of Russian (whilst mostly speaking Slovak with a fake Russian accent).
- I love horse riding but I am slightly scared of horses.
- I am a minimalist who reads digital, hates owning a lot of stuff and thinks Seneca was a pretty clever dude. 😊
- I am obsessively curious… I want to know WHY…. it tends to get me into trouble…
- I am working on qualifying as a Life Coach as I am fascinated by people and always wondering why we are doing what we are doing… it tends to get me into trouble… 🙃
I enjoy reading fantasy, psychological thrillers, character driven fiction, mystery, YA and science fiction books. Some of my favourite writers are Leigh Bardugo, Katherine Arden and Tamora Pierce.
I also love non-fiction, especially memoirs, myths, anything to do with psychology, philosophy, minimalism and zero waste.